Friday, August 9, 2013

Fear and the known

Earlier this week, I took a red pen and circled five verses in Isaiah. Five verses in my church Bible reading plan. Five verses God knew I would need this week. Five verses to give me encouragement, to lift me up, to remind me how great His love is for me. 

In the midst of deadlines, changing seasons of life, new things, challenging things, scary things, things requiring more faith. In the midst of a week where stress was high and sleep simply could not be found. 

Every night I've prayed that God would wrap His arms around me and rock me to sleep. Each time, He has instead nudged me awake and into prayer. 

I have called you back from the ends of the earth,
    saying, ‘You are my servant.’
For I have chosen you
    and will not throw you away.
 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
    Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
    I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
See, all your angry enemies lie there,
    confused and humiliated.
Anyone who opposes you will die
    and come to nothing.
 You will look in vain
    for those who tried to conquer you.
Those who attack you
    will come to nothing.
 For I hold you by your right hand—
    I, the Lord your God.
And I say to you,
    ‘Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you.'
Isaiah 41: 9-13


"Don't be afraid. I am here to help you." 

Isn't that the most lovely message from our heavenly Father? I know what I have to do, and the list is long. The deeds seem unending. There is no. way. 

Our world likes to make it seem like we — like man — can do all things. As if we're in control. And when we stumble, like we will because we can't possibly do it all, the world says we cannot admit it. 

That's a painful and lonely place to live. I'd rather have an authentic life. One where fear is not in the unknown. One where fear is met with a loving God, who tells me I don't have to worry about all things or be discouraged. I don't have to worry, because I don't have to do it alone. 

He makes a way. He reassures me. 

As the week continued and I read more in Isaiah, I found myself circling and highlighting verses with two distinct themes: 

1. Verses that speak of His unending, ceaseless and passionate love for me. 

and 

2. Verses that shout of His mighty power as the CREATOR of ALL life. 

He loves me. And He loves you. Deeply. 

From Isaiah 44-46, here are some samples of God, the 

LOVER OF MY SOUL
whom I have chosen
who formed you in the womb
your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb
I summon you by name and bestow upon you a title of honor
I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places
I have made you and I will carry you; 
I will sustain you and I will rescue you. 

and 

THE CREATOR OF ALL LIFE
Maker of all things
I form the light and create darkness
It is I who made the earth and created mankind in it. 
My own hands stretched out the heavens; 
I marshaled their starry hosts
He who fashioned the earth, he founded it
he did not create it to be empty, 
but formed it to be inhabited — 
I am God and there is no other
I am God and there is none like me. 

"He walks with me, and He talks with me."

I know I'm not alone. I feel God's presence with me even and especially in moments of the unknown. Because He is known. And in that, there cannot be fear. 

Dear God, 
Thank you for being the author of life and caring so much for me that you were there with me in my mother's womb and that you continue to call me by name. Thank you for making yourself known to me this week. Thank you for meeting me in the places where fear can take root and choking it out with your presence. Thank you for walking ahead of me and clearing the path. Forgive me, dear God, when I stumble, when I try to take control, when I try to do things as the world might dictate I should. Forgive me when I'm prideful, angry, bitter or resentful. Restore in me a pure heart, one that seeks to rest in your promises alone! Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment