Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Introducing Mighty Strong Girls

Not long after I returned to the workforce after having my daughter, I couldn't bear the separation. And a part-time, work-from-home some of the time opportunity became available at the newspaper in Decatur where I was working. I had to cross to the "dark" side and work in advertising.

It didn't work out long, as many part-time opportunities don't, because it was a demanding full-time job crammed into a part-time position. But one of the most fun things I did was a large, beautiful, glossy magazine. I LOVED the magazine!

It was all I could think about, and I deeply desired to start one in Springfield because at the time, they didn't have one. But I would need start-up money, and I was pregnant with my second. We were trying to move closer to Springfield. The timing was bad.

I began freelancing for the State Journal-Register, which led to a job there in their special publications division in advertising. In no time at all, I brought my idea of a magazine to my supervisor. And we launched Springfield's Own magazine -- and I'm still doing some freelance writing for it today.
So having previously conceived and launched a magazine, I had the idea of starting a local magazine for girls ages 13-19. A place that is: 
* authentic and honest
* gives girls a voice
* portrays girls and women in a non-sexual way
* gives businesses and other ministries a place to reach these girls without compromising their values
* builds a community centered on faith and encouragement
* connects girls in central Illinois with not only each other but also with girls and girl struggles across the globe (ie. child labor, sex trade, etc.)
* promotes mission work
* and above all, helps girls discover their own calling in Christ -- free from the distractions of our sexualised and materialistic culture.
Instead of jumping right in, I prayed. And day after day for a week (God knows I need LOTS of assurance!), my devotions, church sermon and even world events (a national petition to get magazines to stop Photoshopping images!) were confirming my vision. 

I want to share a couple of ways he affirmed this calling, because I never believed that God worked this way (until I had faith), so I didn't know how it worked.

That week, the regular devotion I get via email opened to this sentence: "
I think one of the greatest needs in the Christian community is for individual laymen and laywomen to dream some dreams about how they can use their talents to impact people's lives for Christ."

The next day, another devotion ends like this: "And I urge you to demand righteousness of yourself, because societal change always begins with one person, one home, one man or woman, one boy or girl, willing to make a difference.

"DISCUSS. Be specific: What could you, your church or your neighborhood do to reclaim this nation for righteousness?"

And then, this national campaign to magazines to "Keep It Real" and stop Photoshopping images to create realistic standards of beauty.  Part of the message: "Yet instead of taking up the media-constructed 'challenge' of fitting into a bikini, we’re empowering you to put the pressure back on the magazines that perpetuate such unrealistic standards of beauty for women everywhere. We want print magazines to pledge to use at least one non-photoshopped image of beauty per issue."

My thoughts were something like, "That's it? One non-Photoshopped image? That's all? It's not enough. It won't go far enough. They need total transformation, not just on images but articles. Our world, these girls, they need better alternatives in magazines."
 
GULP. 

It became clear that God wants me to use my talents to reach girls in order to help give them a healthy perspective of body image and to learn that Christ calls each of us to use our unique skills for kingdom work! Our beauty lies within!

And so, for me to not do exactly what he's calling me to do  would be kind of hypocritical.  

At first I thought I couldn't afford to do this, and then I discovered an awesome online publishing company with a beautiful system for creating e-publications. Then I remembered I could apply to become a ministry with this great organization called Ripe for Harvest. So I did, and the idea was approved. And apparently that makes me a missionary, which means I have to raise support from churches, people, businesses and other ministries. That's the scary, pushing me outside my comfort zone part. But that's OK. Because I believe in this, I have seen the need exists and I truly believe others will, too!

Because I envision Mighty Strong Girls as more than just a magazine, it's part of a MOVEMENT. My ultimate vision is that sponsorships would also allow for an annual conference in Springfield further creating a safe community for girls to get even more encouragement and education about how to listen to God,  a revolving business loan program for girls coming out of the Bible Telling School and/or Children's Redemption Orphanage Home in Sierra Leone, a mission trip for girls to see for themselves the challenges girls in other countries face, and scholarships for girls attending the local Lincoln Christian University.

I am so excited about this ministry, because while there are a small number of national projects, there's nothing that brings these girls together day after day so that they don't feel isolated, so that they get daily encouragement and so they can connect with other girls locally to keep them motivated. The magazine content will be written by experienced writers (likely college age and above), but it will be driven by an editorial board comprised of local girls ages 13-19 from various churches and schools in Central Illinois. 

Topics will include fashion, art, relationships, faith, finances,  upcoming Christian events, devotions, Biblical challenges aimed at growth in faith, entertainment, profiles of local girls and women and profiles of other women in the world (using missionaries to help gather content). Further, we will have seven bloggers from this age group to write on various topics, with a new post every day that will be promoted online. And there will be a section for parents, to give them the tools and encouragement to be supportive of their teen girls. 

So, if you stuck with me so far, THANK YOU! Thanks to the many, many women and teen girls who have already thrown their support behind Mighty Strong Girls. If you are passionate about this cause, please join us. There is a place for anyone who desires to be part of this movement! We have many needs, and you can see a few below or go online and read about what your role may be (writer and photographer volunteers, teens for the board and bloggers are needed!) at www.mightystronggirls.com. If you know a girl who may need this kind of encouragement, please share with her. That's huge and appreciated. 



3 comments:

  1. I am so proud to call you my friend Amy! This is fantastic! And count on me to help with anything you need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet!!! There may be some opportunities for writing, and if you see anything interesting on topic, send it my way. :-) Thanks, Jill! You're a wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, Amy! Not sure what I personally can do other than throw my support 100% to you!

    ReplyDelete