Friday, March 30, 2012

Happiness Hangover

I have to preface this post by saying that while it's super easy for me to write about other people, blogging about myself is not inside my comfort zone. Asking for money is also definitely not in my comfort zone. So I was stepping outside what is normal and comfy and warm and fuzzy when I blogged two days ago about myself, my calling to go to Africa and my need for your support and prayers in order for my work to be met with success. 


God knows how uncomfortable I find myself, and so he further confirmed his will in my situation. 


At the end of the day yesterday, my minister friend said, "Isn't it great when God affirms your decision?" He said something like that. Not sure of the exact words because by the time I talked to him, I was delirious with joy. 


You. All of you overwhelmed me with your encouragement and prayers. Some opened their wallets. I woke up yesterday to a private Facebook message from a family in Athens I know but not all that well who read my blog and committed $200 toward the trip. They didn't just make a verbal commitment. Within a couple hours, in the midst of their very busy lives right now -- they're moving to a new house yesterday and today -- they dropped off a check. Unbelievable. I was so humbled by their generosity and their desire to be part of something that really transcends all of us. 


And then it continued. Emails, personal conversations, text messages. You committed your support. Your prayers. My coworkers, who threw a little "last day of work" celebration for me yesterday, gave me a card and  another financial contribution for my trip. By the time I talked to one of the ministers at my church, I was just dumbstruck. He called to say that my trip would be considered one of the church's mission trips since I'm going to support missionaries whose home church is my church, and I would be eligible for a grant from missions fundraising. In less than 24 hours, 20-30 percent of the costs of my effort were covered. 


I honestly don't recall what I said as I conversed with my preacher. I hope "thanks" was among those words. I was drunk on the outpouring of your love. It was an amazing, amazing day. In my self-consciousness about writing about myself and asking for financial support, I'm so glad God assured me that I'm on the right path, doing his will. I feel blessed beyond measure! 


Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. 


{Much love}
Amy


2 comments:

  1. We are trying to plan our own mission trip to Belize, so we can't contribute financially other than what we already gave to the church during team 360. We will definately pray for you and the Millers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why my comments keep going in as anonymous.

      Delete