Friday, March 23, 2012

I want to be a Girls on the Run Girl!

It's no secret I'm a fanatic about Girls on the Run. I learned about the organization when my niece Gracie participated in Springfield. Then I got involved as a volunteer and took photos at the fall 2011 5k. (This event is so, so, so COOL! See a couple of photos below.) 


I was able to easily convince Cantrall to be a host school, because it's an AMAZING program! Diving into this curriculum is making me realize how critical it is that all girls know these things. It's made me realize....I want to be this girl....this Girls on the Run girl!
We're only six sessions in, and this is what I've learned so far: 


* I'm unique and different and should not only appreciate myself for that, but I should also value those qualities in others. 
* I can control my attitude and be positive if I want to!
* I can get rid of negative self talk (I'm too slow to run a 5k. I'm not good enough to play soccer. I'm not smart enough to be her friend.) and replace it with positive self talk, as in "I can do anything I set my mind to!" 
* I should encourage my sister friends!
* When I chose to eat right, get enough sleep and exercise often, I will be physically healthy. 
* I can learn to take a deep breath when I'm overcome with strong emotions and handle the situation appropriately instead of overreacting. I can learn to express a range of emotions without letting them get out of control. 


Next up, the girls will learn about peer pressure, bullying, community service and so much more before they get to finish their first 5k like these girls below did. Stay tuned. 







OK, I realize this program is for girls ages 8-12, but all the messages have been great reminders for me, too. I might be 38, but I hope it's not too late...too late to be a Girls on the Run girl! (I also want an excuse to wear a really cute, fun, colorful hat!) 


P.S. Right after I posted this, I got an email update from GOTR Founder Molly Barker's blog. You absolutely MUST read this (with a tissue!): http://mollybarker.com/author/wanderingthroughnothingness/


No comments:

Post a Comment