Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I'm going to Africa!

The truth is...I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Africa. My dad had a subscription to National Geographic when I was growing up. I loved looking at the images of the animals, terrain, not to mention the interesting people -- so different from myself!

After working in journalism for several years, I had a co-worker who got to go. He was a photographer and writer (so a logical choice), and the images he brought back were amazing. Can you say JEALOUS??? (This is about the time I decided I needed to learn photography...no joke!) There were two stories he was following -- one was the donation of two cheetahs to the Decatur Zoo. They were coming from a reserve in Africa that houses and mates cheetahs specifically to sell to zoos. A Decatur businessman was making this donation, and it was a pretty exciting development for this central Illinois town. (Eventually, I got to get in the enclosure with them when they arrived at the zoo. So exhilarating! Well, probably not as much as seeing them in Africa, though!) The other story was about a local church that was volunteering to build a well for safe, clean drinking water in a village. This was well before I had become a Christian, yet I wanted to do something like this. I really appreciated the humanitarian side of this project.

Fast forward a decade or so, and here I am. Weeks away from going to Africa. Last week, I honestly didn't know if I'd ever go.

God has a sense of humor. Really. Because a couple months ago, he called me to quit my job. I got the sense he wanted me to evangelize because of the scriptures I encountered as I was praying about what to do. I knew without a doubt, he wanted me to be a part of spreading his word. I knew he wanted me to put my priorities in order: God, family, finances. They were pretty askew! Anyway, the humor part is that my trip isn't glamorous and I thought he was calling me to be with my kids more, not to leave them for 10 days. Plus, no cash on hand to do this! But read on and tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes?

Initially, I didn't know what I would do with my time and my life. But I was prepared to be patient. I thought for sure he wanted me to reorganize my kitchen (it's a HUGE mess), do some spring cleaning and go through my kids' clothes and toys. All the while praying and listening for his voice about how I was to replace some of my income and truly have my priorities in order. I was super content with that. Seemed easy enough!

However, this idea of evangelizing kept coming up. Without changing anything about my habits (I was reading my usual daily devotion, keeping on pace with our church's Bible reading plan and attending all the same church functions as usual), this is what I encountered:

Matthew 9:37-38
The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore to send workers into his harvest field.

Isaiah 1:18-20
If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good things of the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword.” For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

My minister's sermon that week was the story of Abraham sacrificing his only son Isaac in obedience to God. The bullet points I wrote down:
* take what you value most and offer it to God
* immediate obedience
* faith...knowing God will provide

Several weeks later, during communion meditation at church, I turned to my husband and said, "I really have this strong feeling I'm supposed to do something with mission work."

I wish I was making this up, but when we got home from church, I had a private message on Facebook from a missionary friend, Paula Miller, who has asked me several times to come to Africa and take photos but who I hadn't exchanged a message with since she asked how Dan was doing on Dec. 17. Here's an excerpt:

Another note, I am hoping that we can get together for some pics of the family when we get back. We really need to get a brochure together to take on our travels through the states.... Lady, you really ought to consider coming here and taking some pics for us too! we would love to have you here! We will end up in the states in Sept, so we are here til then. What do you think????

You could call that crazy. Or you could say God was speaking to me on March 4. I'm not taking any chances. After exchanging a few messages with Paula, it became clear. Their mission work is in GROWTH MODE big time! They need help -- volunteers, financing, prayers, you name it. I have the tools and abilities to put together publicity material for them, not to mention in my favorite format: STORYTELLING! They need to share their stories! I can do that. It's my gift. I had to say yes. I have to go!

But wait. No money. No job anymore. Medical debt from Dan's illness.

I went back and read the scriptures I had written down from the week God called me away from my full-time job. Again, call me crazy. But it sounds like he's reassuring me to have faith. To trust. I have to be obedient. I have to go. There's no question.

Take a look:

Matthew 10: 9-10
Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep.

Matthew 28-31
Do no be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

God himself will provide. I don't know how. This trip and the materials (and my time to design them) will be costly. But worthwhile. Kingdom work. I feel almost ill equipped, but he called. I answered. It's time. I must step out in faith.

The exciting part you might have caught wind of on Facebook yesterday? As I scheduled my needed vaccines, I sent a quick note to the new editor of Springfield's Own magazine about my trip. Praying for a chance at a little extra publicity. Guess what? She wants me to write an 1,800-word story about the Millers, plus a 650-word sidebar about the orphanage. Photos, an accompanying video for their web site. And what else? Possibly the cover story. For September. The month the Millers will be in the States taking their message to churches all over, and here in Illinois. Wow. God is so, so good! And that just excited me to my bones yesterday, and I could hardly contain it. But I wanted to wait and make sure Rick and Paula knew first before they read it on my blog or on Facebook! 



Here's a photo of the Millers I took last time they were home in Athens. Their daughters are about the same age as Abby and Ryker. Aren't they adorable???

Want to help me out? Have a heart for orphans or the poor? Here's what you can do: 

PRAY. Pray for me, my trip, my ability to tell these stories effectively and reach people who can partner with the Millers to CHANGE LIVES in Sierra Leone. This is a poor, poor country. Not only has Rick started the perfect ministry (Bibletelling School) to reach the illiterate population here, but they are launching a Christian school to educate children and they are building an orphanage so that children with no home or family of their own can sleep off the dirt floor. 

DONATE. You can send donations specifically for my trip to me at 408 E. Oak Grove, Athens, IL 62613. Or, become a regular supporter for Bibletelling teachers in Sierra Leone via the Millers' web site at http://www.bibletellingschool.com/Bible_Telling_School/Home.html

SHARE. Share my blog and/or Facebook page so that others might be able to help, too. And keep reading as I share how it all comes together, not to mention updates about my trip. 


OK, that's it. No baby. No adoption (yet!). I'm not pregnant with triplets, Bob Doty! I am a little scared (I've never traveled alone this far!) and feeling inadequate and a touch worried about finances. But here's the thing, the way God has painted this picture just shows that through him ALL things are possible. His hand is on this. It's so clear to me, and I hope by sharing this story, you can see how he works. 


Oddly, I was angry that six months ago when I accepted the full-time job he didn't answer my prayers for clear direction. This time, I didn't beg him to give me a sign. I just took off to be in solitude for one night in my life and I prayed, "God, I'm sad and unsatisfied in my life. I want to hear you. Open me up to hear what you have to say to me." And then I shut up. I did what I was already doing. And to me, the answers were clear. Quite clear. 

{Much love}
Amy


P.S. If you come over to my house, I'm really sorry about my kitchen. It's just not in God's plans right now! :) 


P.S.S. As a point of clarification, since a couple people asked, Springfield's Own is NOT paying for my trip. I'm excited for the exposure, not the paycheck. When I was editor, this kind of project paid maybe $200. Not sure what I'll be paid, but this is a small magazine.  I'll definitely need some donor support...or find about 20 more magazines to pay the same for the story. :)


4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome Amy!!! Best Wishes!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Amy This is great news and I'm very happy for you , the Millers and All that will be affected by this exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, Amy what a great experience for you, The Millers and all that this exposure will touch! I am so happy for all of you and excited to see the finished products of you trip and how many lives it changes! Gods Blessings are on all of you!

    ReplyDelete