Thursday, July 10, 2014

Equipping the called

     We posted a few photos from one of our Mighty Strong Girls board events on Facebook, and immediately we had requests from women who wanted to be part of it. 
     Because it looked fun? 
     Because we were enjoying each other's company? 
     I'm not sure. I hope they could see that Christ was at the center. 
     When we meet, often we pray, worship and praise the Lord together. But we also have fun and truly deeply love one another. 
     It kind of reminds me of a sorority, except that I know virtually nothing about sororities. It's just that from the outside, it looks like a blast. We all have a sense of belonging, and a common identity. 
     It's funny, I always criticized my college boyfriend for joining a fraternity, saying he was essentially buying his friends. 
    Perhaps I was jealous. I've never felt like I make friends easily. Does anyone? I feel like I've been betrayed more times than not and made friends with someone just in time for us to be separated geographically. 
     I didn't feel like I fit in during my high school years. Most of my friends partied and slept around, even cheating on their boyfriends. I felt lonely and isolated. 
     I met my best friends in college, but I made so many bad choices then that I'm not sure many would recognize me now. I was the wild party girl. OK, I wasn't that wild, but I did lots of drinking and made many mistakes. Friendships there come naturally, especially over shared sin. 
    What I've struggled the most with is adult friendships, which have always seemed so forced and fake. 
     Until now. Until Mighty Strong Girls. 
     In a way, the friendships in Mighty Strong Girls are random, much like the members in a sorority. In a way, they aren't random at all. 
     I didn't choose these women. Not a single one of them. And truth be told, if I were picking women for the board of Mighty Strong Girls, I am not entirely sure they would make my lineup. I hope that doesn't offend them, because I'm almost certain none of them expected God's vision for this ministry to come through me. Yet each of us was called to be a part of Mighty Strong Girls in a strong way by the Lord. We are an unlikely, unsuspecting group of mismatched misfits. 
     That's why we are all so perfect together. Maybe you've heard the saying that God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called. That's the process we are in right now.
     And that's the mystery and glory of God's great plan. He created each one of us unique, and He made us each with a purpose. A purpose that was predetermined. He knows. That's why this very random group came together. He had already called each of us to do a specific thing. As His vision became clear, and each of these women learned about or met me, God showed us His plans. He united us. He picked us. 
     Leaning on Him and stretching our faith isn't always easy. It isn't always fun. Every now and then a new mom or girl tries to be part of it and doesn't stay long, because it takes discipline, humility and authenticity. All of those are difficult, and the truth is, it took me most of my life to begin to understand and practice these three things. I'm still struggling with them! But with God's help, it's been so rewarding. 
     I believe another part of His great plan is to show us how to handle all the complications of female friendship so that we can more effectively inspire and educate our target audience we serve: girls 12-20. 
     He is equipping the called. Sometimes it feels like He's doing it with fire or pressure, but other times, it's freeing to know we can grow in trust and faith with Christ at the center. We know we'll never be perfect, but we are inspired to keep trying. We know He's transforming us into gold and diamonds -- just like He wants to do for all of His chosen princesses. 
     If you are interested in starting a Mighty Strong Connections group or hosting one, let us know. We'd be glad to help, and our curriculum is FREE on our website at www.mightystronggirls.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment