Wednesday, May 2, 2012

African kids are so ... awesome!

Brigette Village is a fishing community, so the beach is often where the action is and we spent a fair amount of time camped out there. I took photos from lots of angles above and then walked down to get some shots and stories of the men fishing, mending nets and selling their catches to the women who were waiting on the beach for the boats to come in. All the while, there were others there selling and working. I got so caught up in the beautiful, busy scene, I didn't notice I was the only woman on the beach without a scarf on my head. Rick got scolded by a man and brought me a scarf. Not wanting to pause for a break, I simply threw it on my head and continued. But there's quite a breeze on the beach, and it wouldn't stay put. All the women have their scarves tied in different ways, creating fashion statements with beautiful material. I figured it couldn't be too hard to tie it up and make it stay put. But I was wrong! I handed Rick my camera and fumbled through trying to tie the scarf, getting nowhere fast. A group of children following me (they follow white people everywhere!) included a couple giggling girls. So, I looked at them and asked if they could do it for me. I wasn't sure they would understand (few speak English), but I bent down and they fixed me right up in about 15 seconds. :-) 


The next day, we visited a neighboring village and used a high school classroom to hear testimonies. I stepped outside to take photos and interview some of the adult church members. And low and behold, the children all came running out of the school to see what the white people were doing. I kind of felt like a rock star. 


And just look at their precious faces!


While we were waiting for our ride, we all thought Paula might disappear in the sea of children. The pastors tried persuading them back to their classrooms, but like most children, they didn't want to miss any of the excitement going on in the village!




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that beautiful photo I saw today in SO!! Bless you! It was good to see you at the FCA banquet a few days later in March as well! haha....I never ate so much chicken in my life! Oy! I don't know how you do it - four blogs! I have my hands full with one!!! This is amazing about your heart for the Lord, Missions and the people of Africa! May the Lord Jesus be with you always and guide and provide for all you do, in His Name, amen.
    Brother Bernie
    www.bernielutchman.blogspot.com

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bernie!! Well, four blogs but I doubt I do them all justice! :) Thanks for the kind note and for checking in. I've got some great stories to share about the wonderful work God is doing through his people in Africa!
    Blessings!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete