Monday, April 30, 2012

I'm back!

I will have plenty to write about my first trip to Africa. But I really want to spend some time in prayer about it so that I choose the right words and fulfill God's purpose. 


First, though, I want to thank all of you for holding me in your prayers! I was VERY nervous about navigating the airports alone. My flight into London arrived an hour early. I laid on a bench and slept for three hours, waking up to find out my outgoing flight to Freetown was delayed by four hours! It was a long day in Heathrow, but God heard your prayers and found a few angels who looked after me. One man I met in Heathrow ended up in line in front of me at the very chaotic scene at the airport in Sierra Leone. He took my passport and told all the officials we were traveling together, moving me swiftly through the tight crowd. He had grown up in Freetown but moved away 20 years ago and was very comfortable with the circumstances that were quite foreign and intimidating to me at first glance. What a God-send he was! On the way back, I made the much tighter schedule of connecting flights so that I got home right on time to see my babies! I encountered absolutely no problems in the airports. Praise God! 


And the conditions at the Guest House were much better than I anticipated. And I ate locally prepared food in the villages, and did not get even the slightest bit sick. But best of all, I videotaped and photographed dozens of local people who were eager to share their stories about the impact Rick and Paula Miller's ministries are making in their lives. We were very fruitful in crossing every single "to-do" off of our list, even despite a few hiccups. Thank you so much for praying for me. Thank you, God! 


I'll post at least one image for now, with many more to come. This is a group of siblings in Brigette Village. The moms all carry babies slung tightly in fabric across their backs. Here, big sis is taking care of the baby just like a mom would. All the kids in the village look out for one another. 





2 comments:

  1. Amy, beautiful photo. I can't wait to hear more of your travels. Glad you are home safe and sound with your adorable family.
    Love,
    Cheech

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must see EVERY picture. Soon.

    Http://momentsdefined.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete